Monday, September 29, 2008

French Toast Recipe

First, to those who have emailed asking for copies of the Conference packets I will email those out tomorrow.

And second,  your not going to like me unless you live in UT or in the vicinity of Yuma, AZ.  The Overnight French Toast Recipe comes from Kneaders Bakery and Cafe which has locations in the above mentioned places.  You use their Chunky Cinnamon Bread to make it.  And it is "what makes it".  You could try it with a similar type bread from another bakery, but I don't know how it would turn out.  The bread from Kneaders is a dense bread (fluffy wonder bread isn't going to cut it) with cinnamon swirled throughout and then a white icing/glaze on top and also throughout the bread.  

Here is the recipe:

1 Loaf Kneaders Chunky Cinnamon Bread cut into 8 slices
6-7 eggs
2 1/2 cups milk
 1 Tbsp brown sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 Tbsp butter

Butter a glass 9x13 pan.  Place slices flat in pan.  Mix all remaining ingredients, reserving the butter and pour over the bread.  Cut butter into pieces and dot over the tops.  Refrigerate overnight.  Bake 45-50 min at 350.  

Emily's notes:  First off, I can't fit it all in a 9x13, I end up using a 9x13 plus an 8x8.  Also, I like it best when I refrigerate it overnight and then turn the pieces of bread over and let them sit an hour before you bake it in the morning so both sides really soak up the egg mixture.  It is great with maple syrup or with strawberries and whip cream!

submitted by Emily (delightfuldistraction.blogspot.com) email: delightfuldistraction@gmail.com

2 comments:

Heidi Boos said...

So glad you're back! Can't wait to make this dish. I'm sure my husband will be in heaven at first bite.

Angela Hill said...

I would love to see a picture of the bread. How thick are the slices?
I am curious if I could attempt this with home made bread.

Thank you