Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Simmering Scent Jars

I'm really sorry I don't have a picture for this idea but it is a great one. We did these for several years for neighbor/ward member gifts and they were always a huge hit.

Simmering Scent Jar
Cost: $2 or $3 (depending on what supplies you already have at home)

To be written on tag and attached to jar:
Pour contents into saucepan on stovetop and simmer
on low heat, add water as needed.
Refrigerate to keep fresh.

Items needed: 1 pint jar, 2 lemon wedges, 1 lime slice, 2 orange slices, 3 cinnamon sticks, 2-3 Tbsp. whole cloves, 3 bay leaves, small fabric scrap, small piece of twine/jute/ribbon.

Directions: Place ingredients in pint jar and fill with water. Top with small piece of fabric secured by tying ribbon or twine around lid. Attach tag.

submitted by Emily (www.delightfuldistraction.blogspot.com)

6 comments:

Kelly said...

These are wonderful, and so pretty in the jars. I'll look and see if I have a picture from a past Enrichment (though I think that was the calendar year, so I probably don't have pictures of anything else.).

Sandi said...

I wonder if you put a plastic grid over the top under the ring and then covered that with fabric if you could then leave it in the bottle and just put the bottle in boiling water and get the scent?

Michelle said...

Do you know how far in advance you can them? Do they need to be refrigerated before you open them? Thanks, love this idea and am using it for my son's preschool teachers and Hellers this holiday.

Richardson said...

Yes, I would be interested in knowing how long these should be made in advance as well! Thanks!

Richardson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stargazerss said...

How far in advance could you make these? Also, did you use labels or did you print these out. They look so beautiful I would love to do something like that.